Things that make you go hmmmmmm
t***@aol.com
2008-02-17 07:38:58 UTC
OK, I know this is not a huge deal and is more or less simply a paid
commercial... but still.

Disney has recently made a big deal about the NEW House of the
Future. For the less initiated the original House of the Future stood
in Disneyland
from 1957 to 1967... it represented life in far off 1986. Now it too
was a corporate shill (for Monsanto) but it was done with style and
fun. It was a freestanding, funky, mostly fiberglass building which
held marvels such as microwaves, dishwashers that rose from the floor
and so on. At the end of the day virtually none of it was accurate
(though if I am not mistaken we did invent microwaves eventually) and
it more closely resembled the Jetson's than real life. Still, it was
cool, optimistic and fun, and most importantly aimed to predict life
20 years away.

This new "house" first of all is not a house at all, it is simply a
display in Inoventions... this time sponsored by Microsoft and HP I
think. But here is the thing, they are crowing about how this future
home is only 5 years away. Now how the hell is this a "House of the
Future"? It is not a house and not in the future. In fact pretty
much everything going in this thing is available right now at Best
buy....

5 whole years into the future when crazy things like touch sensitive
screens and movies on demand will be available to us... WOW!
P***@aol.com
2008-02-18 14:13:28 UTC
I think that NEW house of the future has been in Innoventions about
five years.
Does that make it retro?