Year of a Million Dreams: Pleasure Island
9Lanterns
2008-07-04 15:33:00 UTC
Okay, so last year brought us the demise of the wand. I was hoping
this year, Disney would grant my dream of removing the hat. Hasn't
happened yet, but they did make a great move in announcing to close
Pleasure Island.

PI had some interesting stuff. Adventurer's Club was a novel concept,
and well-themed. I enjoyed Comedy Warehouse. Never set foot in the
dance clubs, except when Jerry gave me a VIP tour. It had the
backstory, tied in with Typhoon Lagoon's backstory. It's not like
they didn't try.

But PI never belonged at WDW, because the very idea of it is counter
to the "family vacation" idea. Drunks and oversexed 20-somethings
just don't seem to fit that mold. And lately, the entire PI/West End
area was becoming overrun with unsavory characters. It's the only
place on property that doesn't feel completely safe. Go out after
dark, and you'll find the place crawling with clusters of teenagers
just standing around doing nothing. It practically screams "GANG" at
you. Maybe it's unfair to paint the kids with that label, especially
if they're behaving themselves, but that's what it looks like.

And recently there have been arrests, ejections, bombs, and deaths,
all from Pleasure Island nightlife. I guess we'll get shops and
restaurants instead of the clubs, but is that any great loss? It's
not like DD is overrun with great restaurants anyway, so a few more
will help with the Dining Program glut. The balloon attraction that
their adding certainly isn't any worse than the stuff that has been at
DD for years (and from the pictures of the Paris version, actually
looks kind of cool).

I've never been fond of West End, or the garish remake of
Marketplace. I liked it best when it was the sleepy Disney Village.
But I'll be glad to see PI move out.

Now, I'm hoping the YOAMD gets extended one more year, so that we can
see the Hat or Dinorama go down.

-Shane
t***@aol.com
2008-07-05 03:00:25 UTC
I have always HATED Pleasure Island... I mean HATED it.

I respect the original attempt at a theme and I admire the detail and
general feel of the Adventurers Club (though have never really enjoyed
it all that much beyond just checking out the atmosphere) but beyond
that it is all a total waste. I do think that the AC could stay and
even thrive in the new plan but I also understand that Disney wants
out of the club and bar business and would rather lease out the space
for much bigger profits and many fewer headaches.

From the fake and forced "fun"of the new years eve every night concept
to the roaming groups of local teens that felt a LOT more like Six
Flags than DIsney I am not sad to see any of it go.

I am about as far from a prude as you can get but even I admit that
for the majority of people visiting WDW it is a family getaway and at
some point drunken idiots getting into fist fights is just not fun for
the family. I was very nearly in a fist fight there about 18 years
ago when some ass accused my Dad of doing something or another (which
he was innocent of) and then in a drunken haze would not back down...
just NOT a good time.

The only thing that does bug me is that putting in more things along
the lines of Planet Hollywood or Rainforest Cafe is simply making the
situation (for me) no better. I never visited PI at this point and I
will never visit T-Rex Cafe and the like. I wish Disney would see fit
to build some really cool, themed, immersive places that truly were
fun for everyone but also UNIQUE and actually served GOOD FOOD. I
wish Disney did not feel the need to simply lease out the space and
make it a big mall. But yea a mall is probably better than what is
there now. The one cool-ish place... the AC gets lost in the mix and
that is a shame. But anyone who bemoans the loss of PI is someone who
is not truly a fan and is simply bitching for the sake of it.
duanedude1@gee-male.NOSPAMcom
2008-08-07 19:42:52 UTC
Post by t***@aol.com
I have always HATED Pleasure Island... I mean HATED it.
I respect the original attempt at a theme and I admire the detail and
general feel of the Adventurers Club (though have never really enjoyed
it all that much beyond just checking out the atmosphere) but beyond
that it is all a total waste. I do think that the AC could stay and
even thrive in the new plan but I also understand that Disney wants
out of the club and bar business and would rather lease out the space
for much bigger profits and many fewer headaches.
From the fake and forced "fun"of the new years eve every night concept
[...]
Sorry gang... long time no post here...

I'm not "bitching for the sake of it", and do regret the loss of PI,
especially the Comedy Warehouse and more especially (is that
especially-especially?) the Adventurer's Club. While some say you
have to be drunk to enjoy them, we don't drink and absolutely loved
these two clubs.

Comedy Warehouse was my first experience with Improv, so it has that
going for it. We were "victims" of a hilarious time when we answered
one of the phones-on-the-wall there. Other visits were also quite
amusing.

Adventurer's Club? What can I say, for those who "get it" it is a
great evening as well. Totally unique, very special.

If the problem was the drunks, deal with the drunks. If the problem
was the teens, deal with the teens. If the problem was pass-thru to
the West Side, they already did that with stopping the "New Year's Eve
Every Night" and tearing down the West End Stage. If the problem was
they were not pulling in money, re-do the business plan and
marketing.

It just seems they are throwing the baby out with the bathwater on
this. While adults can at times relate to and appreciate "family-
friendly" offerings, nothing they do to appeal specifically to adults
will totally fit in with the "disney" kid-centered idea. That doesn't
mean they should not have these options available. I like... actually
love Disney... but resent the kidding-down of so much of the company.
That's why the Disney Stores lost me as a regular customer even before
they were sold to the Children's Place, they had become too much
kiddie-land. Snowglobes, art, and watches pushed aside for more kids
clothes.

With a very tight budget, we are trying to make miracles happen to
allow us one final visit to our beloved Adventurer's Club (and the Who
What And Ware-house Players at the CW). We will miss and mourn their
passing. The whole of Downtown Disney is fast becoming just a mall,
with dining and shopping like any found elsewhere. Why travel 800
miles to see it?

Marching along we're adventurers!
Singing the song of adventurer's!
Up and Down... North, South, East and West
An Adventurer's life is Best...
An Adventurer's Life Is Best!

Kungaloosh!