Well?
t***@aol.com
2008-05-23 22:30:41 UTC
So Indy is up and running folks... any thoughts?

I just saw it, thought it was very solid. In fact the only truly bad
thing I can say is that damn it, even with a relatively small
allotment of trailers they do in fact spoil many, if not almost all of
the best moments of the movie. How I long for the days back when
raiders came out, no internet, no blogs, no Entertainment Tonights,
many fewer trailers... you would walk into the theater and really
discover something for the first time.

In this movie some very fun elements and locations are ruined by being
revealed in the trailers. It's a shame and yet the film still works
on it's own merits. It is a bit more convoluted than past episodes
but a ton of fun... and Ford still pulls of Indy with no problem.
R***@aol.com
2008-05-24 05:07:16 UTC
It is for this very reason I try to stay away from trailers, photos
etc as much as possible; they show too damn much. Overall I really
liked it...it felt like an Indy movie and was mostly on par with Last
Crusade. There were a couple goofy moments that reminded me of Indy 3
but the 4th outting didnt feel as much a gag fest which I was happy
about. I dug the kid...Shia is rather charismatic and I thought he
worked great. And it was also great seeing Marion again. I was sorta
sad when it was over because it was so much fun hanging out with these
characters...I will miss them...until they make Indy 5.

Might be a spoiler or two coming so LOOK OUT!!

Some fun references to other films...a glimpse of the Ark...when Indy
is telling Mutt about riding with Pancho Villa...that was actually and
episode of the Young Indiana Jone Chronicles which I thought was
pretty nifty...nice hat tips to Marcus Brody...

I sorta felt that Indy didnt have much to do at the end. They get to
the chamber...the head is attached and then its a lot of
watching....and then running. I suppose they didnt want to copy the
chaos of Crusade but it just felt Indy could have been more involved
there. Also as great as it was to see Marion I felt she was
completely under used and didn't show up until half way through the
movie. Also the film felt smaller and more contained like Temple of
Doom....like they didnt go to as many locals and such like Crusade or
Raiders...not that it was really a problem or anything.

I was a bit skeptical as it was becoming more apparant that the aliens
were going to be real...like when we got a good look at one in the
body bag. But then I thought "hell its the 50s...aliens, A- bombs,
Elvis and communism.....and the movie had it all. Plus if you can buy
off on a box filled with killer ghosts, magic rocks that let guys rip
out peoples hearts, a knight that is 100s of years old, and a healing
chalice....why not aliens influencing early man.

At the very end, I loved how the hat blew to Mutt and as he picked it
up the voices of a million fanboys cried out in horror and then were
silenced....when Indy yanked it away. Honestly I could see a Mutt
Jones spin off....although hopefully he will change his name to
Daykota or something. I feel that they need at least 1 more film with
Indy headlining before they can truely hand the baton off. If they
indeed do a Indy 5 (and the buzz I have heard is that it is a
possibility) the Jones family could go on another adventure, Mutt, who
is now calling himself Daykota has been back in school and learning
the ropes from Dad.....that would make a better spring board for a
spin off.........

Fun movie...looking forward to seeing it again..

http://www.raymation.net
R***@aol.com
2008-05-25 02:34:42 UTC
This is too funny....apparently the Russian Communist Party thinks the
movie is a documentary......

http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20080523/film_nm/russia_indianajones_dc;_ylt=AnLVIQiTeRlmBPjxuzNOlD8azJV4

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-25 03:05:24 UTC
Ray warned already so if you made it this far you have been spoiled...
but just in case... spoilers ahead.

I agree 100% Ray with much of what you said. I LOVED the last shot of
the hat and all of that, very funny and I was one of those who was
like "oh no, they are giving the damn hat to Shia and then BAM! A
perfect turn around. I also loved the snake gag, very funny as they
threw it time and time again right in his face.

In fact as I think back I am liking it more and more. I also agree
that all the 50's references worked well/ I was not a fan of the
smaller, more contained feel. I really love all the locations and
broadness of the indy films and this felt smaller. Even Doom (which I
happen to love, probably my second favorite Indy with Skull being my
third) felt bigger because the scale of the sets was just huge. I
also kind of missed a trap filled area... the start of Raiders,
entering the temple in Doom or the final knight area of Crusade. I
wish there was more of a booby trap type of thing here.

I tried my best NOT to watch trailers and stuff and yet even what I
saw spoiled so much. Imagine going into this film NOT knowing that a
big scene takes place in THE warehouse or NOT hearing Indy say "Part
time" when asked if he was a teacher. Hell, imagine if you did not
know MArion was in it! Speaking of which I did not mind MArion coming
in late but I do feel she was under utilized and also slightly too
wimpy. She is a mom now and older yes (still has a great smile) but I
wish she was slightly harder edged. In fact it would of been a fun
opportunity to contrast her toughness with then a tender nurturing
side with her son. She kicks ass one second, coddles the next. That
would have been cool, instead she mostly just hangs out.

The jeep chase was a little too reminiscent of the speeder bike chase
in Jedi for my taste and again, much of the was spoiled by previews.
I had not seen any of the ant scene but did know about it so that as
well was somewhat spoiled for me and of course I knew the alien angle
from all the shots of the skulls and so on. I think if this movie
came out in 1982 I would have LOVED it because I would have known
nothing. No a days EVERYTHING is based on opening weekend and so the
MUST have give away trailers to get people in. Imagine if they would
of filmed trailers that had footage NOT in the film. That would be
awesome, like bonus footage almost and then they would preserve the
movie going experience. After a couple weeks they could start running
normal trailers.

Anyway, it was a very good film and I think if they do Indy 5 it will
be exactly what you are hoping for Ray. Indy playing the Connery role
to Mutt. I just hope they don't kill him at the end... that would
suck.
R***@aol.com
2008-05-25 04:17:05 UTC
I'm with ya Teev on the trailers. I used to freak when a trailer was
released...so excited,I would watch it over and over. But last year
(Pirates 3 spoiler coming up if you havent seen it).....changed that
when in the Pirates 3 trailer they showed Will at the helm of the
Dutchman. And within about 2 minutes I had guess-amated what would
happen in the movie. Then there was Spidey 3 that showed a bit from
every major action sequence in its trailer.....sigh. A few years ago
a group of us went to the movies and the trailer for Return of the
King came on...my one friend jumped up, put her hands over her ears
and ran out of the theater...we all laughed but I kinda feel the same
way now days.

I thought the Iron Man trailer didnt show too much. If you are
familar with the origin story then you didnt get much spoiled. In the
weeks leading up, some of the sites I frequent had tags lines of "80
new Iron Man photos online".....NO THANKS.... and then like 2 days
before I see it a damn TV commercial gives away a piece of who the
"real" bad guy is in the movie.....great...thanks a lot.

Teasers tend to be fine...not showing much of anything...but the
trailers are getting to be like 2 min summaries of the whole darn
thing.

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-25 04:48:55 UTC
I'm curious Ray, what did you know or how much had you seen prior to
seeing Indy 4?

I noticed that the scenes I tended to like the most; the nuke test
town, the snake scene and several others, were also the scenes I knew
NOTHING about and had not heard about at all. That is not a
coincidence it is proof that the trailers ruined much of the rest of
the film for me. Ruined to too strong a word but diminished the
impact for sure.

As an aside I actually thought the shot of the arc was not
necessary... we know it is the warehouse... we get that the arc is in
there somewhere... it felt a little forced to me.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-26 00:55:08 UTC
I saw no trailers prior and read only one review. If I had gone in
cold the appearance of Marion and son would have been totally
shocking, and it was hard for me to follow all the screen action
because of first row seats and the lost son fact may have actually
cruised by me briefly if I had not known before. I agree Marion is
just too agreeable and would have liked her to be her old tough self.
Harrison Ford still looks great in his Indy role. There is a lot of
action for him but as usual also a lot of thinking bits and I can see
him sailing on for another ten years being totally believable in this
part. Uh.......Cate Blanchett? I really would have liked to see
either someone else in this part or a different slant. I kept
expecting her to morph into an animated creature of some kind, and
thought she was just way over the top for no good reason.

Anyway, a good warm up movie for the one I am really looking forward
to seeing, Sex and the City.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-26 01:12:17 UTC
The only thing that sort of sucks is that they proved what a good
movie this could have been. I mean I really do like it as is and I
think I will like it more and more as time goes by. However seeing
Ford fit so well into the role, seeing Marion back, hell, even the kid
worked... it makes you realize that a better script could of sent this
into the stratosphere because all the other parts are in place.

I actually love the idea of taking 50's icons and running with them,
atom bombs, commies, flying saucers, moon men... the whole deal. Why
did they need the mind reading slant that they did nothing with? Why
not just make it that the Russians want to steal alien technology so
they can rule the world? To me that is just cleaner. I'll be honest,
about 50% of the xrystal skull crap was lost on me.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-26 13:34:36 UTC
Well, let's face it.........George Lucas is getting old, and the next
time I'm sitting with him in the V.I.P. section at Indy I'm going to
tell him so.

All of the Indy films have that nutty fantasy story running through
them. They're pretty believable and that's one reason they work. The
alien thing is believable, but it's like tracking Bigfoot. I better
see some good reasoning behind it or it's just bogus. For some reason
the Crystal Skull reminded me of a Rhoomba vacuum. So yep, the story
is good, could have been better, could have been really clean. And I
agree about the mind melding thing..........where did that go, and why
did they even put it in. It just made the Blanchett character even
more cartoonish.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-26 15:03:21 UTC
Yea, I LIKE the alien aspect, just wish it was simpler. In Raiders
Nazis wanted to harness the power of the Arc to rule the world. They
did not really go into any detailed explanation of HOW the arc would
allow this to happen, just some brief description about the power of
God and an army led by the arc would be invincible; that's all they
needed. I wish they did the same here... alien technology allows you
to rule the world.... done, no need for mind reading. I also wish
they just committed to aliens instead of this sort of cop out saying
they are not REALLY space aliens but rather some inter dimmensional
beings who live in the space between spaces, what?

As an aside, I am not so sure the Nazis in Raiders are not every bit
as much living cartoons as Blanchett was here.

Oh yea, I wonder if TDS will change their Indy ride to reflect the
movie. Remember, it is called Indiana Jones and the Temple of the
Crystal Skull... and has had that name and theme for 7 years. All
they really would need to do is change the big crystal skull you see
at the start to one from the movie and they are set.
R***@aol.com
2008-05-27 18:27:16 UTC
I had seen the trailers and that was pretty much it...and from that I
figured out that the warehouse was where the Ark was being kept. I
would've done the Ark shot in the film differently...in fact there was
really no reason to show it....they did a good job implying that this
was the place. Apparently in the real history the Soviets were
interesting in "mind control" applications...much like Hitler was
actually interested in the acult...

I thought the whole speech she gave to Indy about invading the mind
and controling everyone was kinda cool as a exaggeration of what
Americans thought at the time...the "Red Scare". That all worked for
me..

They did establish that the "Kingdom" had a power that could be used
to control the mind, which is why the Soviets wanted it so bad. The
reality was that the aliens had knowledge and lots of it....ultimately
overloading Blanchett. It wsnt about a power or anything....they were
archelogists who shared their knowledge with early man. I think they
pretty much committed to them being aliens...when 1. we saw the
skeletons form into one and 2. when we see the ship. I liked that
they kept it mysterious by blending the real history with the shapes
of skull with the idea that they were mimicing the aliens....I would
have been pissed if Indy sat down with the alien and they had a chat
or something..

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-27 21:36:36 UTC
Well I think this is trivial but my interpretation was that they were
NOT aliens as we understand them to be. In other words they were not
from outer space but rather an alternate dimension of some sort. This
is why the ship just vanished at the end and did not shoot into the
sky or something. I thought it was a somewhat clever way of working
the flying silver disc into the film. No, it is not some cheesy
flying saucer from a 50's space movie (When the Earth Stood Still or
what have you) but rather that shape because the spinning gyrations
needed to create the time / inter demmensional travel the "aliens"
did.

So they were not really space men or even E.T.s from a distant solar
system but rather something else altogether. Of course they look like
what we think of as aliens because that image is based on these
beings... not actually from space as it turns out.

It all gets pretty confusing.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-27 21:36:59 UTC
By the way... where the hell is Shane?
R***@aol.com
2008-05-27 22:35:06 UTC
I fear that Shane hated the movie so much he can't put it into words.

http://www.raymation.net
9Lanterns
2008-05-27 23:01:21 UTC
Post by t***@aol.com
By the way... where the hell is Shane?
I am here. I was out of town over the holiday, that's why I didn't
reply before now.

I enjoyed the movie, though it is probably my least favorite of the
Indys. There is one thing that I thought was absolutely, spot-on
right: Harrison Ford. He still has it. Who knows where he's been
keeping it for, oh, the last decade or so, but he obviously still has
it. Also, Shia was good. But I guess I will start listing the things
I didn't like, since that is always more fun to talk about than the
good stuff:

1) Marion. I don't have a problem with her coming back. She was
always the best of the girls. But that was NOT Marion Ravenwood. I
blame the friggin screenwriter, who apparently never watched the first
movie. Marion is not some sweetheart soccer mom. She is a tough as
nails, exasperating, sexy hellcat. I know Karen Allen hasn't exactly
had a movie career since roughly Starman, but she just could not act
that part. Even Spielberg couldn't get a good performance out of
her. It's not all her fault. It's like they all know that she has a
successful knitting business now, so they wrote the part for THAT
lady, not the chick who can drink sherpas under the table and then
slug it out with Nazis.

2) The aliens. Very specifically, the fact that all their heads
merged together at the end and we got to see them warp Galadriel's
brain. I was totally okay with the alien remains in the warehouse,
even with the crystal skulls that had been left behind for thousands
of years. But when they all came alive and saucered into the sunset,
it felt more sci-fi than adventure. And that total garbage about them
being trans-dimensional beings rather than aliens ... that was a total
pandering to fanboys who are worried about aliens. So that George can
say "No, they WEREN'T aliens! They were trans-dimensional
travellers!" As if that is somehow better.

3) Mucking around with the structure of the movies. The previous
three movies all began at the tail end of one adventure, and then
picked up a new adventure. This one started with the Russians/Aliens
right away. I don't really have a problem with it, but for a brief
instant, I thought George had done something brilliant: Start the
movie with the tale end of an alien adventure, then segway into a new
story with Crystal skulls. That would have been a brilliant move to
counteract all the fanboy nervous twittering. But no, the whole thing
was alien skulls.

4) "Miss Ravenwood and Mr. Jones Cordially Invite You to their
Wedding." What is this, Muppets Take Manhattan? Can you imagine a
Bond movie ending with a wedding? And the three of them all dancing
off down the aisle, arm in arm. Give me a break. At least Shia didn't
put on the hat.

5) Ridiculous supporting characters. First there's the sidekick that
kept switching sides (for no reason). Then there's the bumbling,
hypnotized Ocks guy (no point to him). Then there's the Russian
dominatrix who is psychic, but never uses her psychic abilities. Then
there's Marcus Brody's twin brother, Mimcus Brody (or whoever he was)
to cover for the fact that Denholm Elliot is dead. And I've already
covered Marion.

6) Indy being hypnotized by the skull. Not sure what the point of
that scene was. Did the skull give him knowledge or anything? Seemed
pretty silly and useless. Reminded me too much of the personality-
changing blood potion that they feed him in Temple of Doom.

7) The nuclear-proof fridge and Shia the Ape Man. It ticks me off
that they have stooped to cartoonish action like that. Just totally
implausible stuff. I know none of Indy's prior stunts are all that
feasible, but they felt almost possibly (except jumping from the plane
on a raft). But there's no way that a guy hiding in a fridge in
ground zero survives the blast, the heat, being shot several miles out
of the blast zone, and supremely lethal radiation levels, all because
the fridge was lead-lined. I'll buy him passing under a truck. I
won't buy him surviving Chernobyl. As to Shia and the vine
swinging... who thought that was a good idea?

8) I thought the snake gag worked to a point, until he made them tell
him it was a "rope". Alright Indy, stop being such a baby.

9) This isn't really their fault, but the ending "treasure room" felt
like a complete rip-off of National Treasure. Right, this is the room
where the Masons and the Aliens all got together and put a bunch of
historically and culturally significant items.

It probably sounds like I've hated every aspect of the movie, but I
was actually mentally prepared for the aliens, so they didn't catch me
off guard. And Harrison was VERY strong. Even within scenes where
the bad stuff was happening, he was distracting you from it by being
Indiana freakin Jones. On the whole, I get the feeling that maybe
Steven felt sorry for George and that's why he's there. And Harrison
is there because let's face it, he needs a hit. And George is there to
try and cram CGI ants down everyone's throat (literally). So I think
this one maybe lacked a little heart and energy. But it's still an
okay time.

-Shane
t***@aol.com
2008-05-28 03:04:39 UTC
Wow....

I don't even know where to start with all of that but I do think Shane
makes mostly good points though I differ on many...

Lots of his points are similar to ones I hit on before but I do not
mind things like the nuke proof fridge... it's silly and fun and I can
accept it. The vines and monkeys on the other hand vere damn close to
Ewok territory.

Listen, the basic problems are all script related. Karen Allen is not
a master thespian but she did ok, well enough to get by... it was the
writing that let her down. Same goes with scenes like the Indy "I've
been hyp-no-tized" deal and most of the other problems. They just
needed a cleaner story and I am telling you, Commies want crashed
alien remains to harness alien technology and conquor the world is
it. That is all they needed.... Oh well, I still like the movie more
with each passing day and look forward to seeing it again, it is
currently my third favorite ahead of Crusade.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-28 03:39:38 UTC
<This isn't really their fault, but the ending "treasure room" felt
like a complete rip-off of National Treasure. >

Actually, more than a few scenes looked like they came from
Universal's Mummy.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-28 04:50:54 UTC
Wait a minute....

National Treasure and the Mummy are both MASSIVE rip offs of Indy,
therefore NOTHING in ANY Indy film can be considered a rip off of
those things... Raiders freaking invented them to begin with.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-28 13:29:33 UTC
Good point! Of course I never saw either of those films. I think the
piranha ants actually are a rip off of one of the Harry Potter
movies. You know, the one with the giant spiders.........which are
actually stolen from Lord of the Rings (the 3rd one).
R***@aol.com
2008-05-28 17:19:46 UTC
Are you sure you liked the movie Shane? ;) A few things.....

I agree that Marion was completely underused but come on its been 20
years and she has a kid. She's not going to be the same ol
Marion...boozing and fist fighting.. just like Indy is not exactly the
same as he was in Raiders....I think the scene with Mutt and Indy on
the motorcycler was a fun indicator of how things have changed. Mutt
gets a kick out of causing mayhem while Indy is unmoved.

The aliens ARE aliens....transdimensional....whatever...if its not of
this earth its alien. I think if it they handled it more overtly with
ships flying into space and whatnot fanboys would be complaining even
MORE about the alien angle, which many seem to dispise the film on
this aspect alone....

Bond did get married in the one with George Lanzeby movie ;) Bond is
timeless...he never ages..he never changes..his character is EXACTLY
the same....Again Shane its 20 years later... its not going to be
Raiders. I always thought that Indy and Marion were meant to be so
why not have em get married. Maybe it could have been staged
differently.....maybe a wedding on a ship as they were returning...

The Russian chic tried to use her abilities on Indy and it didnt
work....if she started levitating stuff like one of the X-men I
wouldnt have been happy. You really had a problem with the Jim
Broadbent character? That role most likely would have been
Connerys...maybe not as Dean...but as the person he talks to before he
leaves..

Indy being hypnotized by the skull served a couple purposes. It
established EXACTLY what the Soviets intended to do with the "power"
of the skulls. Control minds. The skull did give Indy
information...remember he said he had to return the skull because it
told him too. Oxly had looked at the skull for too long and too much
information was downloaded...that is why he was a babbling idiot.
Natasha ODed on information at the end and disintergrated.

Loved the ants...but the swinging and the monkeys....mmm yeah...but ya
know both sequels to Raiders had their goofy moments..Dont know why
they felt like the franchise needed cheese.

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-28 21:54:36 UTC
On Her Magesty's Secret Service is the one when Bond got married at
the end, and then his wife was killed.

The wedding (in Indy) did not bother me at all.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-29 11:40:48 UTC
<Marion was completely underused but come on its been 20
years and she has a kid. She's not going to be the same ol
Marion...boozing and fist fighting.. >

Really Ray..............if Marion was raising a son alone she would if
nothing else have become more hard edged, not the simpering agreeable
everywoman she was made out to be. She added little to this movie
except for the fact she claimed Ford parentage. Then she could have
gone and taken a snooze for the rest of the time. She was
underutilized.

And speaking of monkeys and ants.............the gophers bothered me
some. In this age of CGI they could have looked somewhat better.
R***@aol.com
2008-05-29 16:02:24 UTC
Petey I said I thought she was underused....a couple times...I have
said from the get go there is really nothing for her to do in this
film. I disagree that she would be the same character that she was in
Raiders..a movie in which..the only person she ever punches...is
Indy..

I agree on the prairie dogs...they were the most CG thing in the
film....you can understand using CG for the ants but come on...they
couldnt find some real prairie dogs?

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-29 21:21:03 UTC
The truth is that Marion was NEVER some tough as nails bitch. Watch
Raiders again, she has a strong "girlie" side and while she can drink
with the best of them and certainly is not shy it is not like she is
going around kicking ass. She punched Indy ONE time and no one
else... I don't think that having her be a softer mom is a bad idea
and the fact is that she is driving the truck and taking control of
things several times in Indy 4, she is no Kate Capshaw. They just
really needed to give her MORE to do.
P***@aol.com
2008-05-30 02:27:13 UTC
Actually, it's sad to say but Indy himself seemed to be in need of
some sort of energy drink for most of the scenes. I thought it was
just me but someone else saw it last night and said the same. It
looked like his back was killing him.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-30 05:24:49 UTC
Indy (like Ford) is much older... being a bit weary was very much in
character and intentional I thought.
PArt of what I liked about his performance was that he was a little
tired but still willing.
9Lanterns
2008-05-30 17:39:06 UTC
"She punched Indy ONE time and no one
else..."

Maybe you all are forgetting most of Raiders. Marion not only clocked
Indy before her second line of dialogue, but she nailed him again with
her elbox while punching an arab, laid another guy out with a frying
pan, and had several different moments of struggle while nazis, etc.
tried to get ahold of her. She screamed revenge against the Nazis
when they tossed her into the Well of Souls, shoved Indy aside after
he caught her, told off Toht at the bar, pulled a knife on Belloq,
knocked out the plane pilot with tire blocks, creamed one of the
sherpas in the head with a block of wood, shot another sherpa just
before he could get to Indy, and wiped out a whole truckload of Nazis
with a machine gun.

But she's mainly a sweet girl.

-Shane
R***@aol.com
2008-05-30 18:53:43 UTC
I actually watched Raiders a few nights ago. I forgot about the 2nd
"accidental" punch to Indy, but nevertheless she's never "slugged" it
out as it were. You wanted the Marion of Raiders yet I still maintain
that the characters can not be the same as they were then; it just
wouldnt work. Although again, let me say, i wished she was utilized
better than being the official driver...

I forgot to mention that in an early draft of the script, because
there were MANY, the movie started with Indy marrying a fellow
archeologist. At attendance was to be Sallah, Shortround, Willie and
Marion.....talk about yikes......I wonder if they would be sitting at
the side kick/ex girlfriend table?

http://www.raymation.net
t***@aol.com
2008-05-31 03:23:52 UTC
OK, I have not seen Raiders in a couple of years so I may not remember
Marion's blow by blow count but the point still remains; Yes, she was
a touch chick, but that was 20 years ago and she always had a softer
side as well. Now she is a mom and middle aged, I doubt she is
running a bar in Nepal... she has moved on. It makes sense that she
is not that same person. In fact it would be damn silly to have a 57
(or whatever) year old woman throwing punches like a drunken sailor.

Like Ray I really have no problem with how the character was
portrayed, and I don't even have an issue with Allen's acting... I
just wish they gave the woman something more interesting to do than
following Indy around all day.
R***@aol.com
2008-05-31 04:15:01 UTC
You guys will like this.... my buddy already preordered one and i am
considering it...be sure to click on the gallery tab

http://www.sideshowtoy.com/?page_id=4489&sku=7192

http://www.raymation.net
P***@aol.com
2008-05-31 13:43:54 UTC
Re: the Wicked Marion of yesteryear............
the fighting and the punching don't really matter. In Crystal Skull
she seems to have lost her hard mental edge, and granted she may be
older but she is not in her nineties yet.
It's as if they have written for a different character. The natural
progression is that she should have gotten more ascerbic, not less. I
don't think she should have turned into a soft little dishrag. A few
well placed bite me's would have at least helped.

Let's see.........we have five writers, all male. What a surprise.
t***@aol.com
2008-05-31 19:33:33 UTC
Men wrote the original Marion as well... and where the hell is a soft
little dishrag anyway?

Listen, I think we all agree that she needed more to do and there was
a perfect time for her to deck Blanchet during the truck chase
sequence... I am surprised they did not have her be a little more
tough. But even with all of that she was hardly some shrill diva in
this thing. Remember, she was never a globe trotting adventurer like
Indy. She got caught up in his world and it is logical that after
they broke up she settled down, especially with a son. What, she is
treking through the jungles with a 6 month old?

It would have been more fun to see a glimmer of her former self come
out a bit more... maybe a scene where she saves Indy's ass (I think
the insistence of driving off the cliff was meant as this scene) but
even at is stands she comes off as a strong woman... not a dishrag.

I just think Shane is bummed that Karen Allen aged over the past 26
years!
P***@aol.com
2008-06-01 16:14:25 UTC
I just think Shane is bummed that Karen Allen aged over the past 26
Post by t***@aol.com
years!
I am too! But what really makes me kind of sad is all the kids and
young adults that haven't seen the old Indy films and don't really
want to, compared to Star Wars which does seem to still reel them in
despite both movie series being about the same age.

<Men wrote the original Marion as well>

There is one thing I forgot to factor in........this IS fantasy.

And they could have done a better job with Crystal Skull. All that
said, I think it's time I go back and see it again (i bet I could
really rip the writers then).
t***@aol.com
2008-06-02 02:54:51 UTC
I'm not going to pretend that Crystal Skill is a GREAT film and I
would NEVER argue that it is brilliantly written, in fact it is pretty
much poorly written. However there are wonderful and truly Indy like
moments throughout the film. For example, unlike Shane, I really
enjoyed the silliness of the atomic test town scene, and I also liked
how it was not treading on familiar water and hit yet another 50's
cliche. I actually find the writing on par with Last Crusade and
maybe only slightly behind Doom... it cannot touch Raiders. But the
point is that these films are more aboiut great moments, hold on to
your seat action and just getting caught up in it all... ANY of them
can be ripped apart from a pure plot point of view.
P***@aol.com
2008-06-03 12:37:07 UTC
Well I certainly can't argue with an overall pleasurable experience
with the movie as a whole.
I too loved the fifties stuff as I grew up through it. And then I ask
my sister, who saw it last week what she thought and she said, without
any prompting, "What's with Marion?"